Healthy Work Lunches To Fuel Up For Summer
If you’re looking to switch up your lunch for the summer months, you’ve landed in the right place. Here are 5 quick and easy lunches that are easy to make, packed with nutrients, and won’t break your budget.
Curried Chicken Bowls
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1-pound cooked Curried Chicken
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
- Combine rice and quinoa; divide among 4 single-serving containers with lids. Top with chicken, cilantro and scallions, dividing evenly. Seal the containers and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Turkey BLT Wrap
- 1 8-inch whole-wheat flour tortilla
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 large piece green leaf lettuce
- 2 ounces deli turkey
- 4 slices plum tomato
- 1 strip cooked bacon
- Spread mayonnaise on the tortilla and top with lettuce, turkey, tomato and bacon. Roll closed and cut in half.
Chicken-Salad Stuffed Avocados
- 1-pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain Greek yoghurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup seedless red grapes, halved (optional)
- ¼ cup toasted chopped pecans
- 2 firm ripe avocados, halved and pitted
- Place chicken in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer, cover and cook until the chicken registers a 165F with an instant-read thermometer, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand until cool enough to handle, then chop and shred. Refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.
- Combine yoghurt, mayonnaise, tarragon, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the cold chicken, celery, grapes (if using) and pecans; stir to combine.
- To serve, fill each avocado half with about ½ cup chicken salad.
Vegan Buddha Bowl
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 firm ripe avocado, diced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Toss sweet potato with 1 tablespoon oil and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once, until tender, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, tahini, water, lemon juice, garlic and the remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- To serve, divide quinoa among 4 bowls. Top with equal amounts of sweet potato, chickpeas and avocado. Drizzle the tahini sauce and sprinkle with parsley (or cilantro).
Chicken & Apple Kale Wraps
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 medium kale leaves
- 3 ounces thinly sliced cooked chicken breast
- 6 thin red onion slices
- 1 firm apples, cut into 9 slices
- Mix mayonnaise and mustard together in a small bowl. Spread on kale leaves. Top each leaf with 1-ounce chicken, 2 slices onion and 3 slices apple. Roll each leaf into a wrap. a
All recipes via EatingWell