How To Be A Grateful Colleague
How often do you say ‘thank you’ to a co-worker for their help or support? A study by Tiny Pulse found that co-workers are the number one thing employees love about their jobs and peer-to-peer praise is 37.5% more likely to have a positive impact on performance than manager-only recognition.
If you work with some great people, it’s important to let them know you appreciate the extra things they do, here’s how:
- Set time aside: Make time to say thank you to a co-worker whose helped you or offered support, don’t put it as an afterthought on something else.
- Be consistent: Help or support from a co-worker is rarely a one-off action so you need to praise your colleagues for their efforts regularly.
- Be specific: If you want to thank a co-worker for specific efforts, mention what you’re thankful for in your praise.
- Be sincere: For praise to be impactful, it needs to be sincere. Offer thanks because you mean it, not because you were told to or feel obliged.
4 ways to thank your co-workers:
- Take them to lunch: Thank a co-worker by inviting them out for lunch and picking up the bill. A lunch setting gives you the opportunity to create stronger relationships, which can lead to positive workplace culture and improved teamwork.
- Get them coffee: If you want to thank a co-worker for helping you with a task or project, surprise them with their favourite coffee and mid-morning treat. Or, if the office has a good coffee maker, get them a pack of pods with an interesting flavour so they can get excited about their morning pick-me-up over the next couple of work weeks.
- Write it down: The average office worker receives about 121 emails a day. To make your thanks impactful, give a helpful co-worker a handwritten note. For example: ‘Thanks so much for all your help when I know you’re already so busy,’ or ‘Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to help me complete the sales project. Without it, I would not have been able to complete it in such a proficient and timely manner.
- Give them a gift card: For co-workers who go above-and-beyond to help you with a project or task, a gift card, like the One4all multi-store, is the perfect way to show your appreciation.